Sunday 12 April 2009

April stuff... Busy busy busy!


Went to New York again with work, which was nice. It's a beautiful city, and I was on the lookout for a New York numberplate for my workshop. Sadly, I didn't get one as I felt that an arrest for stealing a vehicle part would be detrimental to my career.

The Easter Break is a very productive time... Did a few small bits to the engine, like fitted the new side casing and a few internal bits, like the
kickstart bumpstop, kickstart oild seal, etc. and loosely fitted the casing to the engine. Still a few bits in there to sort out, so it's pointless ratcheting it all up. And while I had the engine nearly done, I decided to fit it in the scooter. This was a tricky job, as I was on my own for pretty much all of it. I have a small car jack and a couple of axle stands, so a bit of jimmying and a few swearwords later, it was in! And it looks really good, too. Also fitted the toolbox door, which required a bit of fabrication to get a decent hinge mechanism. Speaking of hinges, I need to fettle that petrol flap, too...

That rear bulb holder turned into a bigger job. It ended up costing me £22 for a decent bulb unit, which I then butchered to put into the alloy unit fitted on the scooter. It is a bit annoying, but I want the thing to be right, so it needs to be done. I got the rear bulb holder from Pete Merchant's shop over in Rochdale. While there, I had a chat with the famous Harry Barlow. He is doing Ange's engine for her and so we are in a bit of a biker build off. He is a top bloke, and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, so I quite enjoyed going over and having a chat. Got a few bits from the nice people at Lambretta Cottage Restorations while on my travels. I thoroughly recommend these nice Yorkshire folk - Very knowledgeable and they will tell you which bits are shit and which aren't, even if they sell them! Not everyone is like that, I can tell you!

Gave the workshop a coat of paint, too, while dodging the rain, and sealed off the edges of the roof, so it's now nice and watertight.

No comments: