Sunday 6 July 2008

The box of bits


So I mentioned earlier about the box of bits... This turned out to be a real headache for me. I bought some stuff from ScootRS which arrived fairly promptly with the exception of the front Hydraulic disc brake kit (drum links) which was out of stock at the time. The prices of these items were excellent compared to the rip off prices for the same stuff on eBay, and it is calculated in dollars which, because of the strong exchange rate at the time, meant I got more for my money. The only issue I had with the ScootRS stuff was not really anything to do with the company, but with the shippers.

I used the fastest shipping option, by FedEx (2-5 days), which arrived within the specified time... Only a couple of weeks later, I was stung with an import duty bill from FedEx based on the value of the items... One to watch for, if you are doing the same yourself. Admittedly, the duty was low, based on the valuation of the items which ScootRS enclosed with the package (which is lower than the price I paid - maybe that's how much they get the items made for in Vietnam...?) but it was still a nasty surprise which I didn't account for. Apparently, the slower shippping options do not incur this duty, but I have no evidence of that... I didn't want to wait 90 days for a boat to arrive anyway.

I also bought some bits off traders who set up stalls at rallies... Disco Dave sold me some good stuff, as did SP4Y (Scooter Parts 4 You) and Steve at Scootergifts has been particularly helpful and great value for money.

So... We have the bits, and I reckon I've spent about £1,500 plus over the course of last year, and I still don't have everything I need... It's like buying a Lambretta on HP!

No comments: