Saturday 1 November 2008

Headset in detail

So when you start your rebuild, no matter how thorough you are, you will always forget to buy something... I have forgotton loads of stuff for my rebuild and it is only because I have good local suppliers on hand that I can progress.

This week, I have been looking at the headset. The Lambretta headset is the hub of all the scooter... Most of the control cables terminate there and the nightmare that is wiring goes on beneath the speedo dial. I started by looking at my control rods... they were horrible. I tried to refurbish them, but then I noticed that a lot of the nylon parts were looking worse for wear. A quick scout on the interweb later, I came accross the website of Scooter Restorations based in Nottingham. Their site is excellent, and it has exploded diagrams for almost all areas of the scooter with links to the products in the diagram, so you can look at a drawing, guess which bit it is then click on the link to find out what the part is really called ('Can I have three plastic wiggly bits please?') and order directly. I needed a load of plastic bits, and while I was at it, I thought that I'd order new control rods too... Clicked and ordered at 4.45 pm, but I needed the bits then, so I gave them a call. The man on the other end of the phone was really helpful, and he said he would try to get the parts out as soon as possible. True to his wrd, they were with me by 2pm the following day. That is excellent service, so I left a testimonial on their website and called to thank them. The whole order was £50 (I also bought some Lambretta specific tools too), so the value for money aspect is also good. I'll put them in and see how they look.

I intended to put brass type control wheels in the scooter, as the nylon ones can be a bit prone to wear, but closer inspection revealed that the brass bits I had bought were for star ended control rods... I had to go with the nylon ones for the time being, but I will replace these with better quality ones soon.

No comments: