Sunday 9 November 2008

More Headset





So the headset saga continues... The job I have been putting off is the wiring. To me, it is a nightmare - my brain can't cope with it at all.

I was up at Scootlife, my local scooter shop run by Taff, buying some bits when Ady called in for some stuff for his T5. I explained my lack of progress with the rebuild being down to my reluctance to start the wiring, and
Ady kindly offered to come down and give me a lift with the wiring. He arrived next day and we (or rather he) set to work. I was right about it being a nightmare... I tried to follow what was going on, but failed after about a minute. Anyhow, 30 Maplins Bullet connectors, five brews, a few biscuits and umpteen fags later, and we were done. We had a working scooter. We tested the wiring using a battery charger to give us some power instead of the engine (Ady is a qualified electrician, so don't try this unless you know what you are doing) and the Halogen light conversion (from Sparkrite Technologies), the horn, the brake light and tail light all work! Fantastic! And that's with a dodgy switch I bought from ScootRS (should have been 3 position, not 2 - typical!).

We put in a load of extra earths as well - apparently, you can't have enough of them - so hopefully, the scooter will be a good runner, electrically. I am going to do myself a wiring diagram as soon as I get the engine back from Jonsey and get it all wired up, so that if I have to disassemble it, I have a chance of putting it all back together again. Incidentally, the blue wire (not the correct colour, I know... It's all we had) is the feed for the switch on my front brake light. The other wire is in there somewhere too.

1 comment:

scooterboy said...

Can you send Ady down to Nottingham. I'm in exactly the same position. Wiring to do on a Series 3 all in the headset just haven't a clue which wire goes where apart from the blue isn't really blue wire.

Nice blog mate. Looks like yours is in the house as well :-)

I'm looking forward to the finished item.

Cheers


Matt