Saturday 22 November 2008

Speedo


So one of the first things I bought for this rebuild is a new speedometer unit. I bought it from ebay about a week after I got the scooter, and it has been sat around ever since. Initially, I was a bit disappointed that the twenty or so quid I paid for it (may be less, may be more - it was a while ago) didn't buy me a Lambretta logo above the milometer bit, as most Lambretta speedos have this lettering. I was going to buy another unit with the logo, but then I got to thinking that this would be an ideal spot for a bit of extra customisation... I printed out the Alpha Industries logotype to the correct size and I was going to cut out a frisket using matt frisket film to do the airbrushing on the speedo face.

That was far too fiddly to do, however, so I found an alternative... And these are the results. Special or what?

In the meantime while waiting for the engine I have done a few other little bits and bobs... I went to the end of season scooter rally at Morecambe, and in the parts fair there, I picked up a bracket to mount my CDI and Regulator, some anti vibration rubbers, metal gear change and throttle wheels and assorted springs, clips and fixings that I was short of. I also got a new Ducati Regulator and and LML CDI unit from Lambretta Cottage Restorations. The bloke there was really sound, to the extent that he was doing himself out of a sale because he had no CDI Units in stock of the type I was looking for. I ordered the part from him, however, and it came through the post within a couple of days. Anyone after any parts for their rebuild (I have also bought one of their complete nylon lined cable sets too), I strongly recommend these people as they are honest, fair and supply good quality parts. Most of the above mentioned parts are now fitted, and waiting for the engine to arrive... As I am.

Spoke to Jonsey about the engine today... It is coming on apace now. The crank is fitted, and the top end has been rebuilt and put back on. The Gears will be the next bits to be given the Grimspeed treatment, and then it should be a matter of putting in the new bearings and seals and throwing the thing back together... I hope!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Mmmm nice.... it's all in the detail- we like...