Sunday 17 August 2008

Forkin' nice!



Managed to get the front end rebuilt today and I think it looks really good... Had a few problems souring the locking nuts and the big washers, so I had to clean up the original ones that came of the scooter after raiding the big box of shite. Thank God I don't throw anything away!

The new stainless front shocks were a Christmas present from my mum, as I mentioned earlier, and the re-painted hub and forks have been documented before, so it was a question of getting the wheel and tyres fitted to the bits and making sure it was all safely bolted together.

The Nissin shock will need a little surgery - It scrapes against the wheel rim a little, so I reckon that I need to grind about a millimetre off the four lugs closest to the wheel... Shouldn't be too much of a problem, and I will do this at a later date.

The stainless cable guide looks well, but the big story is the tyres. These are Heidenau 'Racer' tyres and are 'K' rated to 81mph. Most scooter tyres are 'J' rated which means that they have been tested to 62mph. These are also tubeless, which means that in the event of a rapid air expulsion scenario, I have more chance of stopping without making a large, Mark shaped splat on the tarmac. I'm hoping not to test this theory out though, and I will fill the tyres with slime before test riding on them. The rims are Sterling Tubeless rims in chrome, as I have heard reports of the stainless type tubeless rims splitting. I got these from Rich Presley at last year's Cheeky Northern Monkey's weekender, but I forgot how much these were... I should have kept more accurate records...

No comments: