Thursday 7 August 2008

No, really... Fork off!

So the forks came back on the Friday all refurbished and welded up, thanks to the people at The Mod Shop... Strengthened rods and uprated springs, new rubbers and a new pair of fork links, all for £80... Not too bad at all! I spent the weekend carefully stripping the forks of paint. I have decided to Hammerite them in a brushed silver, which is how they leave the factory. And Hammerite covers a multitude of sins. I had a bit of a mishap with the new front hub last week, too... That got Hammerited in the same brushed silver too... Not too much of a biggie, as I was unsure of what colour to do the hubs anyway, as I had one white one (the new one from ScootRS) and one silver coloured new rear hub that I got from SP4Y at last year's Bridlington Parts Fair. So now, they are both going silver.

Last Thursday, I chose the paint, too... I was originally having the scooter done as 'Pressure Drop', but after seeing three or four of them on the scene, I've kind of gone off the idea. The new theme is going to be... You'll just have to wait and see! I've never seen one on the British scene before (or anywhere else for that matter), but it's going to be nice. I'm quite excited about it.

So... Back to the forks. After stripping with a really potent paintstripper, and lots of wire wooling, scraping, wire brushing (both by hand and with the drill) and a light sanding, they were ready for painting. And I've just put the second coat on now, with the help of Carol who is a painting goddess... Hammerite has a temperature range, by the way, which is how I cocked up the hub, requiring it to be stripped back to bare metal and repainting. So if it's above 25°C, the paint clogs like a cloggy thing and just sags before you get chance to move it around... And that's my tip of the day! Check the temperature before you start painting. Anyhow, the top photo is the forks after I'd stripped them (or if they are side by side, the one on the left), and the bottom one is the forks after the second coat... Look OK, don't they?

No comments: